OPPO, the world’s leading technology brand, held its OPPO Fast Charging Open Day dedicated to the theme “What’s next in fast charging” during which it revealed the latest research progress it has underway in relation to fast charging technology and the development of your Fast Charge technology solution.
“The development of OPPO’s VOOC Fast Charge technology is based on innovation in an entire fast charging system that includes the charging adapter, charging cable, PMIC, battery and more,” said Jeff Zhang, Chief Scientist of OPPO VOOC Flash Charge. “Whether people opt for wireless or wired charging, VOOC Quick Charge technology can now meet a wide range of needs related to charging electronic devices, even in the most extreme circumstances.”
Safe charging: New updates and innovations create a safer charging experience
OPPO has always placed efficiency and safety at the forefront of its development of Fast Charge technology.
Based on this concept, OPPO has introduced a five-layer protection system to improve the security of VOOC Rapid Charge technology and has explored the way in which new materials, AI algorithms, charging architectures and others factors can be used to optimize loading:
- Fuse with lower impedance: the fuse present in the five-layer safety protection system of the Quick Charge is able to deactivate immediately in the event of an electrical current overload or other anomaly, protecting the battery by physically isolating it from the power supply. The updated fuse design has lower internal resistance and better performance, helping to further protect the safety of the charging system.
- Gallium Nitride (GaN) Adapters: OPPO used GaN adapters in its smartphones for the first time. These adapters not only achieve the same functionality as traditional silicon MOSFET adapters in a smaller area, thus reducing the space required, but their lower impedance and high voltage operation help to reduce emitted heat and improve efficiency and efficiency. reliability of loading.
- Internal battery design with two cells in series: a series dual battery design allows the same power to be supplied while decreasing electrical current and reducing heat emission. The internal battery design with two cells in series takes this concept one step further by combining the double batteries in series in the same frame, thus taking up less space while providing the same safety performance. The new design provides at least a 5% increase in battery capacity for the same battery size.
- Security Chip: OPPO’s patented battery safety detection chip with built-in AI algorithms is able to detect if batteries have suffered external damage by recognizing voltage drops in real time based on a series of scenarios and acting accordingly. If the voltage drop is believed to have been caused by damage to the battery, the phone will notify the user that it will be necessary to repair or replace the battery.
- Composite current pickup: OPPO has developed a composite structure safety battery that features an entirely new composite current pickup. The battery uses a new composite material sandwiched between two layers of aluminum to replace the typical all-aluminum composite design found in other batteries. This “interleaved” structure is further coated with an additional protective material, thus creating the five-layer current pickup structure. This system improves battery safety by protecting it from short circuits caused by external damage. Tests in OPPO’s laboratory reveal that, without compromising performance, the new battery passes both puncture and crash tests with a 100% success rate.
Smart charging: optimization of speed and battery life
OPPO also unveiled its new smart charging technology during the event. Designed to keep charging speed within the safest possible range, the technology adjusts charging current based on intelligent detection of different scenarios. This can also help to reduce the occurrence of unusual battery aging, allowing users to enjoy optimal battery life for longer.
Smart charging technology is able to offer noticeable improvements to several aspects of battery performance, including the following:
- Longer battery life: while ensuring the SuperVOOC speed of 65W and full battery charging/discharging, the technology is able to maintain the battery capacity at 80% of its original capacity even after 1500 charging cycles.
- Improved loading speed in specific scenarios: charging speed can be increased according to specific situations based on the maximum instantaneous power the battery can safely consume at any given time. In the case of the 65W SuperVOOC, it is capable of increasing speed by about 20%, allowing a 4500mAh battery to be fully charged in 30 minutes when needed.
- Balancing the phone’s charging speed and temperature: the technology intelligently detects the best balance between optimal charging current and subsequent temperature rise in different usage scenarios. As a result, users can use the phone while Quick Charge takes place without any discomfort.
Extreme Charging: Even in the coldest environments, Fast Charging doesn’t stop
In addition to making the VOOC Fast Charge O safest and smartest possible, OPPO has also explored ways to optimize fast charging technology in the most extreme situations. For example, it can be difficult to charge a Li-ion battery in very cold environments, where forcing the battery to charge can even cause a short circuit. OPPO’s ultra-cold temperature charging solution uses intelligent algorithms to determine the ideal battery charging temperature and increase the temperature before charging starts. Test results demonstrate that the battery is capable of increasing the temperature from -20 ℃ to 10 ℃ in just tenths of a second, allowing the battery to charge as usual.
Since the launch of the VOOC Quick Charge in 2014, safety, efficiency and ease of use have been three key areas contributing to OPPO’s R&D in the field of battery and charging technology. As of June 30, 2021, OPPO had already ordered more than 3000 patents related to fast charging technology; and through more than 30 devices compatible with VOOC Quick Charge technology, OPPO has provided this fast, convenient and secure charging experience to more than 195 million users worldwide.
In 2021, OPPO launched its new project, the Quick Initiative, integrating its patented VOOC technology into automobiles, public spaces and processors within a range of devices. In the age of the Internet of Experience, OPPO’s Quick Charge technology is evolving to offer users a next-generation charging experience designed to stand out in any situation, allowing people to charge any device, whenever and wherever they want.