In older versions of macOS, users looking for a way to rename multiple files at once had to use the command line (command prompt), or install an external application dedicated to this task, however, since the OS was released ( OS X Yosemite) Apple has integrated several file-renaming capabilities directly via the Finder app.
How do you rename multiple files at once on a Mac computer?
Implementation Finder It is the first thing that appears to you as soon as you finish installing the Mac OS operating system, as this application opens automatically and remains open while you use other applications, and provides you with multiple options to search for files, organize them, in addition to the ability to easily name multiple files at once.
to do this. Follow next steps:
- Open a Finder window and locate the files you want to rename.
- Select files with your mouse or hold down Shift and click on them one by one.
- Click on the Action option in the toolbar at the top, or you can right-click on the selected files to open the menu.
- Click on the option (rename) Rename in the menu that appears.
- In the (Rename Finder Items) box, choose (Format).
- Enter a common name for your files in the text box next to (Custom Format).
- Enter the starting number for the file series in the Start Numbers box, remember that if you select a number format, you can use the (Where) option in the drop-down menu to choose whether the serial numbers appear before or after the common name for your files.
- Once done, press the option (Rename) Rename.
The selected files will now be renamed with the one you chose, and if you are not satisfied with the label, you can press the Command and Z button on the keyboard to return the files to their original names.
How to find and replace specific text in file names:
The Finder app also allows you to rename the Rename only certain files whose names contain specific text, andThis is especially convenient if you have tens or hundreds of files in a folder with different names and only want to change specific file names that contain a specific word.
To do that; You only have to select the files in the relevant folder, then access the (Rename Finder Items) section in the previous steps in the same way, but this time select the (Replace Text) option instead of (Format) in the drop-down list.
Then type the name of the text you want Replace it in the search field, and enter the new text in the Replace With field, then press the option to Rename.